fmp1The history of the Law Institute of Irkutsk State University dates back to 1918 - the year when Irkutsk University was founded comprising two faculties – Law Faculty and Historical-Philological one. It was the second university (after Tomsk University) from Ural up to Pacific Ocean.

In the far 1918 the first professors and teachers of ISU - graduates from Moscow, St.-Petersburg and Kazan Imperial Universities began training prospective lawyers at two courses. A number of young people from Irkutsk town families were admitted into the first course. The core of the second-year-course students was represented by those who had arrived in Irkutsk together with their teachers from Central Russia. That was the inception of university legal education in Eastern Siberia.